My Blog List

Thursday 17 May 2012

I'd like to take a short pause from my poetic narratives to talk about something that has affected us all as college students and citizens of the free world. Why don't you people ever speak up? And you call yourselves "New Yorkers"??
 Take out creative writing course for example. I would like to make an important distinction. Nobody seems too happy with the fact they have to comment on approximately 150 pieces by their peers, nor can most of us make it.The interesting phenomenon is that this is wrongly justified by self-accusations of laziness, which, if your thinking doesn't go deep enough to separate effectiveness from pure practice, probably wouldn't take you too far down the road of logic.
There is a difference between being lazy - refraining from doing simply because one doesn't feel inclined to put any effort into something productive, into a transformation of some sort - and not taking part in something one just isn't naturally meant to do. Of course, we are raised to act against our urges and not follow our desires. That is how societies are kept in order, and have been for hundreds or thousands of years (at least).
I agree with the idea that the best way, and maybe the only way, to improve one's writing is to read, read read. However, if one doesn't have the choice over what they read, the reading could feel forced, and thereby oppress one's sense of creativity, as any forced activity does. Each and every one of us has their own little world of emotions and associations, and naturally we are interested in different styles and subjects. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone to say, I really couldn't relate to and/or enjoy a lot of the pieces that I had to comment on in this class. I enjoyed some of them, some made me think. But I would have learned so much more if I was given the choice of reading from different sources as well, or focusing on works from fewer chosen people. In writing as in art (the two are entwined to me), it is more about quality, not quantity. Although I would have been happy reading just as much if I was given the choice, or at least a long list of names and pieces to choose from. Unlike many others, our teacher seemed like someone open-minded and approachable that you can talk to. And so my question to you, why did you remain silent?  I'm pretty sure the idea was giving everyone an equal treatment, which is a very nice way to go, but the world outside it cruel and we better get used to it, the sooner the better.

5 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting point you make but how would we know if we were going to enjoy reading a piece or not if we just chose not to. I think there is something interesting and enjoyable that we can take from each piece that the students in our class wrote. Not every piece is going to be amazing but we are all in school to explore our own styles and share with the class. It's a creative writing workshop, not a literary studies class where there is more freedom and we read more works from professional writers. I don't think we remained silent out of fear or anything like that we did it out of respect for our fellow students and the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could tell after one paragraph into a piece if it was my kind of thing or not. I think if you've read a lot in your life, then you kind of know what you're into. If you know yourself as a person, you pretty much know what you're into. Or at least you know what you're NOT into.
    Philosophically, you can say that there's something interesting and enjoyable that you can take from any single thing in this world, but we only choose to focus on a selected few.
    I agree with you, it probably was not out of fear, but I don't think the opinion I expressed is equivalent to being disrespectful to the course. I don't disagree with the concept of the course, just the lack of choice. I'd feel more naturally inclined to write more about fewer people's works than feel forced to write something of medium length about works that don't have any emotional effect on me. I don't think that's being disrespectful, I think that's natural. But of course, I'm also a punk =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that maybe one of the reasons for constructing the course this way is the idea that everyone should get feedback from everyone in an equal sort of way and nobody would feel neglected. Maybe this is how our teacher sees it.
    But then again, getting unequal treatment is the way of the real world and we should get prepared for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean but then again doing it this way makes sure everyone gets equal treatment and no one is left out. When I took the same course with a different teacher we did things VERY differently. Not as many pieces, more time to really develop ideas, plots, themes. More time to really aid in our classmates' own growth in their writing. Did I like it better? yes. But some aspects in this class I liked as well, like the blogs. I just hope everyone took something with them at the end of the course.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I think that was the idea, making sure everybody gets treated equally. But as I've said, if we're trying to prepare for the market, nobody is getting equal treatment out there.

    ReplyDelete